Tim Keller, senior pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, gives two thirty minute talks about Christmas at the Harvard Club of New York City:
In "The Hidden Meaning of Christmas," Tim goes through the ancestors of Jesus, as presented in the Gospel of Matthew. In ancient times, people believed that a man's ancestors explained his character -- and that's true for Jesus, as well. The ancestors of Jesus give us these three important messages today:
- God always keeps His promises
- God promises eternal salvation
- This promise applies to everyone -- men and women, of every race, both good and bad -- so long as they have placed their trust in God and His only Son.
In "God With Us," Tim analyzes one of the names of Jesus -- "Emmanuel," the Hebrew word for "God With Us." Tim breaks the word down into its three parts, and draws meaning out of each part:
- "God" -- Who He is, and what He can offer to us
- "Us" -- Who we are, and what we need in order to make our lives complete and meaningful
- "With" -- The mystery of Christmas, when God came to live among us, in human form.